- Republic of Kenya or Kenya
- Former: British East Africa
- Capital: Nairobi
- 8 hours ahead of Washington, DC during Standard Time
Kenya is made up of 7 provinces and 1 area
- North Eastern
- Rift Valley
- Nairobi Area
Independence/National holiday: December 12, 1963
Flag Description: three equal horizontal bands of black, red, and green; the red band is edged in white; a large Maasai warrior’s shield covering crossed spears is superimposed at the center; black symbolizes the majority population, red the blood shed in the struggle for freedom, green stands for natural wealth, and white for peace; the shield and crossed spears symbolize the defense of freedom.
- Unemployment rate: 40% (2008 est.)
- Population below poverty line: 50% (2000 est.)
- Population: 43,013,341 (July 2012 est.)
- Median age: 18.8 years
- Largest cities: Nairobi 3.375 million; Mombassa 966,000; (2009)
The information above is from the CIA World Factbook.